A boom operator should be neither seen nor heard. They are the stealth ninjas on set recording a video’s sonic story. Without an experienced boom operator, your project is sure to fail.
Need help understanding the mechanics of a boom operator and how to capture professional sounding audio for your next video or film? Here are six tips from Aputure on how to improve your skills as a boom operator from a professional that has recorded audio for VICE and BuzzFeed:
Here are the six ways to improve as a boom operator:
- Make sure you are out of the way
- Go to rehearsals and understand the blocking
- Be aware of lighting
- Pay attention to the camera
- Know which lens is being used
- Make sure you and other departments are on the same page
Interested in the process that follows the capturing of audio on set, audio post-production? Check out The Sound Jack’s articles on audio post-production techniques like sound mixing, sound editing, sound restoration, and sound design.